There will be a panel discussion on the presidential elections in the USA on Wednesday 29th October at 12.30 p.m. in Lecture Theatre 2 at UOM.
The panellists will include:
– Craig White, First Secretary / Public Affairs Officer at the US Embassy
– Vijay Makhan, Former Diplomat
The moderator will be Roukaya Kasenally
This will be an interesting presentation / debate 6 days before the elections (American citizens will vote on 4th Nov) as well as a good follow-up to the series of Digital Video Conferences which were organised recently by the US Embassy.
To put you in the picture, the latest DVC which took place on the 22nd October addressed the following issues inter alia:
– the Electoral College system (there is no direct vote for the candidates; instead votes vote for Electors who pledge to vote for a ticket. Read this for a quick explanation)
– the coverage of the elections by the mainstream media and alternative media (with a regression in mainstream media coverage and, conversely, a lot of internet resources including former mainstream journalists publishing information on their websites)
– the sidelining of third party candidates (there are 4 other candidates running. Read this for some more info)
– surveys and the Bradley effect, campaign financing, advertising spots, first ladies, participation in comedy shows, minorities, etc.