Jan Servaes (PhD, 1987, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium) is Professor and Head of the School of Journalism and
Communication at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia; Editor-in-Chief of ‘Communication for Development and Social Change: A Global Journal’ (Hampton Press), Associate Editor of ‘Telematics and Informatics: An international journal on telecommunications and internet technology’ (Pergamon/Elsevier: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/tele), and Editor of the Hampton Book Series ‘Communication, Globalization and Cultural Identity’.
He has taught International Communication and Development Communication in Belgium (Brussels and Antwerp), the USA (Cornell), The Netherlands (Nijmegen), and Thailand (Thammasat, Bangkok).
He has been President of the European Consortium For Communications Research (ECCR, www.eccr.info) and Vice-President of the International Association of Media and Communication Research (IAMCR, www.iamcr.net), in charge of Academic Publications and Research, from 2000 to 2004.
He has undertaken research, development, and advisory work around the world and is known as the author of journal articles and books on such topics as international and development communication; ICT & media policies; intercultural communication and language; social change; and human rights and conflict management. Some of the most recent book titles, include:
– (2006) THOMAS P. & SERVAES J. (eds.). Intellectual Property Rights and Communications in Asia. Conflicting Traditions, Sage, New Delhi-Thousand Oaks-London, 262 pp. (ISBN 0-7619-3498-7).
– (2006) SERVAES J. & CARPENTIER N. (eds.), Towards a Sustainable Information Society, ECCR Book Series, Intellect, Bristol (http://www.sociologie.be/sociodata/sdata03077.htm)
– (2005) SHI -XU, KIENPOINTNER M. & SERVAES J.(eds.), Read the Cultural Other. Forms of Otherness in the Discourses of Hong Kong’s Decolonisation, Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin, 352 pp. (ISBN 3-11-018267-X) (http://www.degruyter.de/rs/168_SK_PT_E_ENU_h.cfm)
– (2003), SERVAES J. (ed.), The European Information Society: A reality check, ECCR Book Series, Intellect, Bristol.245 pp. (ISBN 1-84150-106-9) (http://www.intellectbooks.com/authors/servaes/information.htm)
– (2003) SERVAES J. (ed.), Approaches to Development. Studies on Communication for Development, UNESCO Publishing House, Paris (ISBN 92-990008-1-6)http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=7132&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html)
– (2002) SERVAES J. , Communication for Development. One World, Multiple Cultures, Hampton Press, Cresskil (Foreword by Jan Pronk), 336 pp (2nd printing). (ISBN 1-57273-198-2) (http://www.hamptonpress.com/)
Current research interests:
– Communication for Social Change
– Development Communication
– Participatory Communication Research
– International Journalism
– Internet and Democracy
– Knowledge Societies and Sustainable Development
– International Communication Policies
– Consumption, Communication, Ethnicity
– Globalization and Culture