To all Year 2 students who will have to complete Work Placement I (to be carried out after Sem 1 of Year 2).
Here’s what your course structure says about Work Placement I:
COMS 2204(3) Work Placement I
The work placement should, as far as possible, be carried out in line with the field of specialisation. It should last the equivalent of 4 weeks full-time and should take place as from the end of Semester 1 of level/year 2. After completion of the placement, the student must submit a written report for assessment around the end of the second semester (the date will be communicated by the programme coordinator). An interview concerning the placement may be carried out if deemed necessary by the department.
The equivalent of 4 weeks full-time means 20 full working days. So, if you plan to do it on a part-time basis, you should ensure that you have 20 full days of placement (i.e. around 120 hours of work – excluding breaks, etc.)
Here are the documents needed. The pack contains all relevant forms and documents as listed below.
Before the placement starts :
– Placement form to be filled in by the host firm and submitted to me before the placement starts and for approval of the placement
– Letter to host firms. You will need to send signed originals so you can come meet me or I can leave those in the Registry for collection.
– Letter to your current employer asking for release for your placement. You will need to send signed originals so you can come meet me or I can leave those in the Registry for collection.
– Guidelines to be given to your placement supervisor in the host firm
During and after the placement:
– Guidelines for you students about the placement and the report to be submitted for assessment
– Evaluation form to be filled in by the placement supervisor in the host firm and returned to me after completion of the placement (Note: This will count in overall assessment of placement, so please ensure they do send it very soon after completion of the placement)
If you require any information or have any doubts, please contact me and clear with me before embarking on any placement.
Please note that the placement should be in line with the field of studies. In general, I do not accept placement as ‘Guest Relations Officer’ in hotels or simple sales positions, etc. In all cases, you are required to contact me to discuss your placement before embarking on any placement.
It is also advisable not to do your placement in the organisation you are already employed in. You should take this opportunity to gain new knowledge, new skills and exposure to new settings.
Here’s some additional advice:
– Do not merely send the letter I have written to potential host firms. Do write a personalised letter explaining why you want to do a placement in their organisation, Though not compulsory, a nice CV is not a bad idea.
– It’s also not a bad idea to contact the potential host firms on the phone beforehand to find out whether they can accommodate trainees and also again after having sent your letters (to find out whether they have received the letters and get some rapid feedback as some firms do not even bother to write back if they cannot offer placements or even forget/lose your letters!) but do not harass them over the phone.
– Before actually making requests for placements, find out whether the organisations you have listed are engaged in interesting activities relevant to your studies